Hire a professional genealogist
Friday, 24 August 2012
Do you need help in finding your Dutch ancestors? Yvette Hoitink is a professional genealogist who can help you with your research.
Professional genealogy services
Yvette can provide the following services for you:
- Creating research plans
- Visiting archives throughout the Netherlands to do research
- Transcribing, abstracting or translating original documents
- Analyzing records for evidence and clues
- Creating research reports, including source citations
- Authoring or co-authoring of genealogical publications
- Consultancy on how to break through those brick walls
Three-step-plan to find your ancestors in the Netherlands
- Contact Yvette and describe what you know, how you know it and what you would like to know next.
- Yvette will then create a high-level research plan, and will indicate what the first phase of the research should be. This plan includes suggestions for the first archives to visit and the records which will be consulted. An estimate will be given for the work, including the maximum number of hours that will be spent on the first phase.
- Once you authorize to spend a maximum number of hours, you will be asked to pay a deposit and Yvette will then start the research. At the end of the phase, you will receive a report with an explanation of the findings.
Why hire a professional genealogist?
There are several reasons why you should consider hiring Yvette to help you with your Dutch roots:
- Yvette has over 20 years of experience in Dutch genealogy. She has done research in all the provinces, in all the major types of sources covering a time period from the late Middle ages until the present day.
- Yvette has over 15 years of experience in emigration research. She's helped hundreds of genealogists, mainly from the United States, to find their immigrant ancestors and their families in the Netherlands.
- Yvette knows how to use online sources very effectively. She's given lectures about internet genealogy since she was 18 years old and wrote a successful book on that topic.
Using online information effectively will dramatically reduce the hours needed to answer your questions. In some cases your question can be answered by online sources, otherwise online information can help to prepare a visit to the archives so those visits will be more productive.
- Yvette is fluent in English and can help you to understand Dutch records and the stories found in them by providing translations and explanations.
- Yvette is a Prince2-certified project manager who knows how to plan and organize her work and keep her clients informed about the progress.
- Yvette is a member of several genealogical societies, including the Nederlandse Genealogische Vereniging (Dutch Genealogical Society) and the Central Bureau for Genealogy in the Netherlands and the National Genealogical Society in the United States. This keeps her informed about advances in methodology and available records.
- Yvette has very clear professional ethics and works according to the standards for sound genealogical research and standards for sharing information with others as recommended by the National Genealogical Society. For example, she'll document her research in such a way that somebody else can continue the work, she'll not misrepresent the odds of finding a record while billing for unnecessary research, and she'll refer you to online sources that you can check yourself if applicable.