The National Archives has a database of Dutch emigrants to Australia between 1946 and 1991. The database may only be used for historical research.
The database is compiled based on the card catalogs that were created by the Dutch consulates in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane between 1946 and 1991. The cards were organized by heads of household and contain information about the whole family. Only the head of household is indexed.
Contents of the database
The database provides basic data for each emigrant:
- Initials (initialen)
- Last name (achternaam)
- Birth date (geboortedatum)
- Mode of transport (transportmiddel): ship (ship) or airplane (vliegtuig)
- Name of ship or airplane (transportmiddel naam)
- Departure date (vertrekdatum)
- Aankomstdatum (arrival date)
- Card catalog (kaartenbak).
The original cards are available at the National Archives in The Hague. The series is not public, as many of the people may still be alive. To order a copy, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- full name of the emigrant
- birth date of the emigrant
- if it’s your own card: send a copy of your ID
- if the emigrant is alive: power of attorney to see the record, with signature of the emigrant and copy of his or her official ID
- if the emigrant is deceased: copy of the death certificate
The card may contain information about other people who may be alive. If that is the case, permission to copy may be refused.