On Saturday May 16, the online opening of the Pilgrim Year Leiden400 will take place!
The Pilgrims lived in Leiden from 1609 to 1620, when they left for America. Get to know Leiden during the virtual event, which will be in English. Take a city walk through the historic center, and meet people who will tell you about Leiden in the time of the Pilgrims.
The tour will take you to:
- Museum of Ethnology
- Museum De Lakenhal, about the textile industry
- Onze Lieve Vrouwekerk, the Walloon Church
- Leiden American Pilgrim Museum
- City Hall
- William Brewster Alley
- Jean Pesijn Courtyard
- Botanical Gardens
- Leiden Heritage Center
- Monument “Pilgrims to the New World,” at the location from where the Pilgrims left Leiden.
Times for the virtual tour:
- 10am to 2pm (US, Eastern Time)
- 3pm to 7pm (UK)
- 16.00 to 20.00 uur (Leiden)
A number of locations and museums linked to the Pilgrims will open their doors for the Leiden400 organisation. They will guide you through the exhibitions and their stories by interviewing the directors and curators of the various locations.
Pilgrim Museum in Leiden. Photography by Kees Hummel, used with permission