Quick tip – What is the Higher Authority?

Try finding out what higher authorities may have created records about your ancestors.

A few examples:

  • If you are researching in a specific municipality, check the records of the province to see what records they received from that municipality.
  • If you find a court case, find out what the appellate court was to see if there was an appeal.
  • If your ancestor worked for a school, find out who appointed the teachers. Until recent times, this typically was either the church or the municipality, not the school itself. The records of these authorities may include more information about your ancestors and job performance. In some cases, I even found their application letters.
Teacher in front of a classroom

Teacher. Credits: Spaarnestad Photo.

About Yvette Hoitink

Yvette Hoitink, CG®, QG™ is a professional genealogist in the Netherlands. She holds the Certified Genealogist credential from the Board for Certification of Genealogists and has a post-graduate diploma in Family and Local History from the University of Dundee. She has been doing genealogy for over 30 years and helps people from across the world find their ancestors in the Netherlands. Read about Yvette's professional genealogy services.

Leave comment